Different Types of Heart Disease
- Coronary artery disease (also known as coronary heart disease and ischemic heart disease)
- Cardiomyopathy – diseases of cardiac muscle
- Hypertensive heart disease – diseases of the heart secondary to high blood pressure or hypertension
- Heart failure
- Pulmonary heart disease – a failure at the right side of the heart with respiratory system involvement
- Cardiac dysrhythmias – abnormalities of heart rhythm
- Inflammatory heart disease
- Endocarditis – inflammation of the inner layer of the heart, the endocardium. The structures most commonly involved are the heart valves.
- Inflammatory cardiomegaly
- Myocarditis – inflammation of the myocardium, the muscular part of the heart.
- Valvular heart disease
- Cerebrovascular disease – disease of blood vessels that supply blood to the brain (includes stroke)
- Peripheral arterial disease – disease of blood vessels that supply blood to the arms and legs
- Congenital heart disease – heart structure malformations existing at birth
- Rheumatic heart disease – heart muscles and valves damage due to rheumatic fever caused by Streptococcus pyogenes a group a streptococcal infection.